Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Interview with Sorrows!

-Who is Sorrows? How did you guys form?

S: Sorrows is Buddy Porter on vocals, Albert Navarro and Shane Campbell on Guitar, Ian Hodges on bass, and our good friend Nathan Najera recorded for us and is filling in on drums til we find someone who wants to play for us full time. (If any drummers read this, please come jam with us!). It's kind of a long story about how we formed. I used to sing for a band called Shadows, and after a while I was removed from the lineup without warning. I'm not trying to dirty any names, but I wasn't pleased with it so I gathered some good friends that I have always played music with Sorrows, which is basically a continuation of Shadows except evolving to a darker sound. Shane and I (Buddy) play in a band called Every Second Counts together and Albert and I played in a band called Break the Chain for years. Ian is a new friend and he was in Shadows. We have all known eachother for years but decided that we finally wanted to make a band full time, so we will play anywhere in any state at any time.

-What can you say about the band and straight edge?

S: This band is basically a emotional pool for all of us to dump our feelings into. Everyone write lyrics, everyone writes music, and it's all very personal for us. We hope that people will relate to our music, but if not that's fine too. We feel that we have a lot of things to say based around how fucked modern America is on the premise of sexism, drug abuse, and how truly fucked we all are if we don't put our foot down and do something about it. We aren't officially a straightedge band because Albert isn't straight edge. The rest of us are, though, and we are all clean. For me personally, straight edge has been the foundation for the way I live my life and I feel it's one of the most productive things a person can get out of hardcore. Witnessing the destruction alcohol and drug abuse in our world, in our families, and with our friends, straight edge is really what saved our lives. We all have had our own hurdles in life and we hope that we can express our passion through this band.

-I feel the same way. I saw you guys at your first show at Vic's Warehouse and I noticed the emotion you're talking about and I respect that to the fullest. Which are some of the bands that INFLUENCED you guys to do what you do?

S: Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to watch us, it means a lot. The bands that influenced us to actually play music are Unbroken, Battery, Turning Point, Disembodied, Go it Alone, Verse, and Modern Life is War. But as far as what we want to accomplish as a band, and the direction we want to take our music, it's just growing up having to do everything on your own. Being a band from Orange County, people automatically assume that you have a nice rich family and connections. None of us have that shit and all we want to do is live in a van and play music every day to anyone willing to listen. Thinking about living like that is what drives me and influences me.

-What do you guys do on a regular basis? Work/School?

S: I work and take a couple classes at a community college. All my money goes to living expenses, school, and this band. Work and school will be put on hold whenever this band gets tours rolling around, first one being this summer. Ian does some school, and Albert and Shane dropped everything to make a career out of music and get money wherever and however they can.

-You guys are REAL DEDICATED, I like it. Where will you go on tour this Summer? Will you guys have some sort of DEMO, EP, or FULL LENGTH by then?

S: We actually already recorded a EP which will be our first release. It will have the four songs on our myspace plus two more. The EP we did ourselves and the release show will be on the 21st at the Riff Haus in Fullerton, CA. The Mistake, Monument to Thieves, Mourningside A.D., and Archetypes will also be playing.

The tour this summer is with our friends Illustrations and will start in Texas, go through New Mexico, Arizona, and end in California. That is June 11th through 19th and we hope to get back on the road and go up north in July. We are expecting a full length to be released by that time.

-Do you guys have any tour experience from being in the other bands?

S: My other band mates have done some small weekends here and there, and personally my band Every Second Counts did a North West/Canada tour with Set Your Goals in 07. So many great stories from that tour. The weather was insane, it was winter and the roads had black ice everywhere. The caravan spun out multiple times. Crazy homeless people in Vancouver BC, going to an island on a ferry chugging through ice water. Shit was nuts. But since then I knew it was what I should be doing with my life.

-DAMN, haha... well im really not sure what to ask anymore so im ending this interview, it was real dope talking to you guys like this! thanks for the interview and giving the time! LAST WORDS?

S: Yeah man anytime, thank you and I'll be sure to spread the word about your blog. I just want to say that this band will always be giving 110% percent and it doesn't matter how many people we play in front of. Check out our good friends Illustrations http://www.myspace.com/illustrationshc and support Southern California Hardcore and Straightedge.

Check them out at: myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment