Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Interview with Capsize!

-So How did Capsize come together as a band? Any Other bands you guys were in before this?

C: Capsize came together when I (Daniel) saw that James left his previous band, Forever United. I hit him up and just asked what he was trying to do next. Based on what he told me, it seemed to be along the same lines as what I was looking for myself, so he came over to my house and jammed the next day. He had a hand full of songs done, and I liked a couple of them a lot. I told him I was down to do the band with him and that I'd figure out the other members shortly. That same night, I hit up Andrew who was the drummer of the last band I was in, The Life We Live, previously known as Ill Equipped. That band ended just due to the fact that we could not "find our sound". Every song sounded like a completely different band. Anyways, the 3 of us jammed together a week or so later and everyone was really happy with it, so we made the band official. I met Chris a few months ago when I played bass for a pop-punk band a while back that he was once in also and the members of that band were friends with him. I didn't know what he was into really, but I had heard him talk about Comeback Kid before so I asked him to come jam and he loved the songs. That was the forming of the members.

-Sounds legit what can you guys say about your overall sound?

C: Well, I don't want to to pull the whole "We are not a genre, we're a band" card, so I'll just tell it how it really is. We're a melodic hardcore band. James is personally influenced by bands like Life Long Tragedy, Comeback Kid, Dead Swans and I'm really into Defeater, and Killing The Dream. I can make up a rediculous sub-genre but I and everyone else knows who we sounds like, haha. For Andrew and Chris, I don't think they have any direct band influences as far as Capsize's music goes. They just play it and make it sound good as fuck, in my opinion.

-Yeah haha, What do you focus on when you write lyrics for Capsize?

C: Just shit that pisses me off, man. Our EP is 3 songs, and here is what's behind each of them. Nothing Changes is just about people that are always talking to their friends or fuckin' blogging about how unhappy they are with the economy, the environment, politicians, and are anti-anythingthatsoundstrendytodisagreewith but never do a fucking thing about it. It doesn't matter what you hope for. If you want something for yourself, go get it. If you want something done, do it yourself. Pretty much my "Shut the fuck up." to a lot of people. Sweat and Blood is about working class America. More directly, people in manual labor. More personally, my fathers life and all of my teen years. It's just about people that work their ass of just so than can have gas in the car to make it home, and have a plate of food at night. The Weather's Here, Wish You Were Beatuiful is just about a past relationship, and me being mad about a lot of lost time I dedicated to nothing that I will never get back. For the next rext recordings, I couldn't tel you what exactly the songs are going to be about, but they will have just as much emotion as the EP does.

-I like it dude. What are some of the most HILARIOUS moments for Capsize? Inside jokes?

C: Not any moments that I can think of really. At our very first show, at Vic's warehouse I kept slipping cause the floor was really slick, all the singers that night were, now that I think back. and at our 2nd show Chris's strap broke so he played with his bass on his knee the last two songs. We say a lot of stupid shit to eachother that only people in the band find funny, haha.

-Haha... What's coming for Capsize in the next couple of months? How were you able to make the progress you made in these few months you've been together?

C: We are recording 2 or 3 songs in early March. We are only releasing one of them online though, and are saving the rest for when we can record again. We are hoping to have a full length out by summer's end. Another release we are looking at is a potential split with an amazing band from San Antonio, TX, I Ignite. Both of these releases will eventually be out on 12" w/ dowload and or CD. We are also in the process of booking our west cost tour, spanning from New Mexico all the way up to Washington, that we do this summer. The dates are posted on our page. We can't tour as often as I'd like cause I am in college and James is in the navy, but when we get the time, we want to cover as much ground as possible. We have been able to move really fast in the last 2 month of being a band, strictly due to practicing often, staying motivated, and putting every extra dime we get into this band.

-What’s your goal with this band?

C: My main goal with this band is just to make music and put on performances that people will remember. Kids go to shows every single day. The lame part is, they don't remember 90% of what they saw 'cause it was the exact same thing as the night before and the night before. I just hope that people still jam our shit in 5 years, and we grow to the point that all of our shows are a very energetic, interactive, emotional experience.

-What is the toughest lesson you ever learned while being in music scene?

C: Don't think that everyone that shakes your hand at you at shows, or sings a long when your band plays is your friend. Just pay close attention and make sure that you define your own line between friends and hang arounds. If you don't, expect to be crossed at some point.

-Where do you see this band in 1 year?

C: In a year, I see us having a west coast tour and an a east coast tour under our belts. As well as the release of a full length and another EP or split. I'm hoping that our current line up does not change and we have music that people love to sing a long to at our shows!

-With your new album that is coming out, How do you see the growth of the band? What can your fans expect from it?

C: Well, until we release a full length, we only have 3 songs to share with the public. I feel as though with the release of a full length, once it's out for a bit, crowd interaction will grow a large amount, and people will just have more songs to jam out to at home. I just hope that when the album drops, and after our summer tour, we will get a lot more recognition. Fans can expect an album with more emotion in it than anything they have ever heard. Songs about struggle, overcoming, love, hate, loss, and gain. A well rounded album that will hopefully redefine everyones idea of hardcore from San Diego.

-What are some best and worst memories connected with the band?

C: Well, we have only been a band for just over 2 months now, so not too much shit has happened. I'd have to say our most memorable thing so far was just recording. Being cooped up in a house for 60 hours, sleeping on the floor for 15 or 20 minutes at a time and eating a shit load of taco bell. The best part of is all was coming out with 3 sick songs. Big shout out to Tyler Ross for recording us.

-Sick interview. Thank you for it. Any last words?

C: Thanks for your time, bro. To everyone who has supported us so far, thank you. Please help spread the word. Shout out to JDoll and Hellfish. Shout out to Vic & the warehouse. Listen to Illustrations, I Ignite, Shadows, Archetypes, Sorrows, In Despite, and any other band on our top. Buy our CD & merch. Come out to one of the shows. See everyone this summer.

Check them out here:myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment